Some food memories are just ingrained in us and hot dogs take me back to my childhood like nothing else. Please understand I am not talking about any hot dog here. No, I talking about a proper New York style one. I was born in New York, Brooklyn to be precise, but moved to Miami when I was only eight years old. Yet, I remember clearly missing those hot dog carts at busy city corners.
Thankfully, I was not the only one longing for them. My mom wanted to recreate that special secret ketchup relish,that those steamy carts always carried. Her determination brought forth a glorious homemade recipe that ruined me. I can’t have a hot dog without craving it. When I came of age I was handed this family recipe and have enjoyed sharing it with friends.
However, eating a low carb keto plan caused me to put that beloved recipe on a shelf. That is until I decided to make a low carb version. Ketchup is typically loaded with sugar, corn syrup and a bunch of chemicals I can’t pronounce. Although, a tiny amount of regular ketchup may not kick you out of ketosis, anything over a teaspoon can potentially do so.
A low carb version, was a must to meet this craving. They say that “necessity is the mother of invention” and that’s what brought forth this recipe.
Understand you can’t rush glorious, so make sure you allow yourself time when making it.
Low Carb Spicy Onion Ketchup Relish, New York Style
Serving Size 2 tablespoons
A low carb spicy ketchup recipe
5 minPrep Time
1 hrCook Time
1 hr, 5 Total Time
- 1 large can of crushed tomatoes 28 oz.
- 1/4 c of white vinegar
- 1/4 c of sugar substitute ( I use Swerve)
- 2 tbs of red chili paste
- 3 tbs of Tabasco sauce
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1 finely chopped large yellow onion
- In a medium size stainless steel pot or other non-reactive cookware sauté the onions until translucent and caramelized.
- Set aside the cooked onions.
- In the same pot cook on low heat the can of crushed tomatoes with the vinegar, the sugar substitute, red chili paste, Tabasco sauce and salt.
- Cook down the sauce until it thickens for a minimum of an hour.
- For those who don't share my passion for spice, you can omit the red chili paste, and add only a dash of Tabasco.
- The result will be a wonderful low carb ketchup.
Looking for proven ways to stay committed to a low carb keto plan? Look no more! Allow me to introduce to you Keto//OS the first therapeutic ketone supplement that allows you to drink your ketones and put you into ketosis in under 59 minutes. You can now stay the course longterm with this amazing supplement. To be able to have ketosis on demand is simply a game-changer. I invite you to read more about the success we are seeing in our community group here.