How do you bake a cake in the heat of summer? Cooking it in your slow cooker of course! We all love a just baked homemade cake, but doing so in South Florida in the middle of summer, well that’s just crazy.
Don’t get me wrong I use my oven year round, but in August the last thing I want to do is heat up my kitchen. It takes hours for the house to cool down and that’s not fun.
So baking it in a slow cooker makes so much more sense. This recipe is adapted from All Day I Dream about food and makes a very moist rich cake. With the added bonus of keeping the house cool in the summer.
Slow Cooker Low Carb Chocolate Cake
- 1 ¾ cups almond flour
- 1 cup of swerve or other sugar substitute
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ cup plain whey protein powder (low carb)
- 2 ½ tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 6 tablespoons of melted butter
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup of heavy whipping cream
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Well grease the insert of a 6 quart slow cooker.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together almond flour, sweetener, cocoa powder, whey protein powder, baking powder and salt.
- Stir in butter, eggs, whipping cream and vanilla extract and combine well. Its important to mix on high for a few moments to add volume to this cake. I love the texture of this cake it is the closest to a regular cake I have made.
- Pour into the slow cooker and cook on low for 3 hours.
- Allow to cool 20 to 30 minutes, serve warm. Serve with low carb ice cream or lightly sweetened whipped cream.