Turning 50 today and I am feeling great! It’s so funny when you’re younger you tend to dread the day you turn 50, because our society has put so much emphasis on staying forever young. Now, that it’s finally here I am more excited then when I turned 21. Allow me to share with you what comes with this wonderful milestone!
- For me at least the insecurities went out the door. Mind you this has been something I have been working on for a long time. But hallelujah, my shortcomings don’t define me.
- I know what I like and what I don’t and I make no apologies for it.
- I embrace life more, I try to make each day count not just for me but for those who share my world. I have learned to make lemonade out of life’s lemons.
- I don’t take things so personal anymore. If someone is having a rotten day, that’s their choice. I don’t question myself to death wondering if it was something I did or didn’t do.
- I voice what I need without feeling guilty. You know what? This spells freedom for me.
- I have learned the art of saying no. The constant need to please and keep the world happy has ended. Good riddance!
- I have learned to listen to my body and if I need to rest, I rest, if I need to get out and have some fun I do. I know my limits and I no longer ignore my body’s cues.
- I define my success by the level of my obedience to what God has called me to do, not by what the world or others consider it to be.
If I could go back in time and speak to that insecure teen, I would tell her hey kid don’t be so hard on yourself. Hang on, your life is going to be simply amazing! You will get to do things you never thought possible and marry the love of your life and give birth to two incredible children. You will be blessed to be surrounded by family and friends who love you. That you are stronger than you think. Lastly, that doing ministry will bring you much joy and countless spiritual children and that even when life threw you some curve balls you learned to toss them to the curb and move on.