I just love when a recipe idea comes together effortlessly. It starts with a thought, that quickly translates into an easy recipe that becomes a favorite overnight.
When I started making my kefir at home with some kefir grains I was given, I learned quickly how fast this stuff multiplies. Which started me on a journey to find creative ways of using my kefir. From berry shakes, to milk substitute for my baking, a better choice when counting carbs. To now using it to marinade my chicken in.
The thought process started with a problem that needed a solution and the willingness to think outside the box. Hmmm, my kefir jar is too full, what are you going to do with all this goodness? Then I looked at my now thawed chicken, just waiting for me to find a way to cook it. What if I used the kefir like buttermilk? A time-honored practice used to help tenderize meat. Next came the spices, what would work? What about Indian? Then I remembered my jar of Jamaican jerk, immediately a recipe started to formulate. I wanted it simple and delicious. Isn’t this what we all want? So rather than putting in all sorts of spices, I took the guesswork out and used my all ready prepared jerk seasoning.
Bingo, this was will be delicious and easy! So I doused my chicken with jerk seasoning until covered completely in jerk from front to back. Next came the kefir, that I simply poured over and tossed the chicken to fully incorporate all the ingredients.
I allowed this mixture to marinade for a couple of hours in my fridge. What this produced was a nicely seasoned, very moist chicken. A melting pot of flavors that was complex in flavors but easy to create. A true winner!
If like me you need yet another creative way to use your kefir, before it takes over your fridge, this fits the bill nicely.
Jamaican Kefir Chicken
- 6 chicken thighs ( I leave the skin on mine) or any chicken part you enjoy.
- pre-made jerk seasoning ( I used Caribbean Sunshine Jamaican Jerk but any in your supper market aisle would work, just watch out for hidden sugars) Alternately, you can make your own jerk chicken.
- 2 1/2 to 3 cups of homemade kefir or bottled plain kefir
- Cover the chicken thighs both front and back with the jerk seasoning.
- Next add the kefir and toss and mix the chicken until well combined. Leave to marinade in the fridge anywhere from 30 minutes to overnight.
- Once fully marinated, remove most of the marinade and place in the oven at 375 degrees for about one hour or slightly longer, until chicken is fully cooked.
- At this point I allow the chicken to get browned by putting it under the broiler for a few minutes. The length will vary according to your oven. I served mind over green beans, but the choice is yours.
Looking for proven ways to stay committed to a low carb keto plan? Look no more! Allow me to introduce to you Keto//OS the first therapeutic ketone supplement that allows you to drink your ketones and put you into ketosis in under 59 minutes. You can now stay the course longterm with this amazing supplement. To be able to have ketosis on demand is simply a game-changer. I invite you to read more about the success we are seeing in our community group here.
Learn more about how the science works by watching these short explainer video
Feel free to reach out to us with your questions. We are here to support you.