No one wants to be a hater right? Well, it’s sometimes hard to ignore that some people are just blessed with a fast metabolism. You know them, they are the ones that can eat just about anything and remain rail thin.
However, do you know that looks can be deceiving? Not every skinny person is a healthy. Well, that’s a post for another time.
The question is can we do anything to remedy a slow metabolism. Is it possible to even become one of those elusive types? What if I told you that you can change your metabolism?
There are plenty of studies that give us reason to believe that it’s not only possible but achievable. I became one those people. Now, remember no hating! I am here to share what I have learned so that you too can enjoy the benefits of a fast metabolism.
Here Are 10 Things You Can Do To Speed Things Up
- Add spice to your life! By adding all forms of capsaicin, hot peppers you help raise your body temperature. Not only does it raise your metabolic rate, but some studies indicate that spicy foods acts as a temporary appetite suppressant. How cool is that? Other heat-producing spices like ginger, cinnamon, and turmeric prove similar results. So go and explore more spices and begin to reap the benefits.
- Build those muscles! After a session of body building your metabolism gets ramped up. When you have more muscles you have a higher resting metabolic rate compared to those who do not. This is something I have seen personally in my own life. Especially after having had muscle wastage do to the Guillian Barre syndrome. Once I began to exercise and build my muscles, my metabolism thanked me by speeding up.
- Eat more protein! By including more protein into your diet you assist your body in building those metabolism boosting muscles. Crowd out the junk with real protein, remove the empty carbs and allow your muscles to grow.
- Drink up! Our bodies need water to process calories. If we are even slightly dehydrated we will slow down our metabolism. This was a hard habit for me to master. Thankfully, today I am drinking lots of water and it’s paying off.
- Work out! Aerobic exercise is key to fueling our metabolism. Can I tell you that even just walking for at 30 minutes a day will boost your metabolism? Yes, indeed! So get yourself some walking/running shoes and get moving.
- Get some rays. Exposure to light in the morning may help keep you slim, suggests research from Northwestern University. Why? It raises your vitamin D levels and this again helps boost your metabolism. Most people who struggle with their weight are vitamin D deficient. Read more about it here.
- Stay on your feet! Young adults who did work while sitting versus standing burned more calories, shows a 2012 study in the Journal of Physical Activity & Health. If possible trade out your work desk to one of those that can be raised to a standing position.
- Energy Drinks? Ugh, please no! You would do well to replace these with plenty of green tea and even black coffee in moderation. Most energy drinks are loaded with chemicals and excessive amounts of caffeine and sweeteners. Some can even cause issues such as high-blood pressure, anxiety and insomnia.
- Let laughter be a regular part of your day. Laughing as little as 10 minutes a day can help you burn 10 to 20% more calories and boost your metabolism. So go watch a funny video and let your metabolism thank you.
- Check those carbs! By cutting back on empty carbs you change your body from burning glucose (sugar) as fuel to burning fat (ketones). Look into a ketogenic, low carb plan to help speed up your metabolism and lose the extra weight that is hindering your health. That’s what we did! Read more about our transformation here.
So what are you waiting for? Begin today to make the necessary changes and reap the benefits of a fast metabolism!