Is there anything that says summer more than strawberries? There is just something so right about biting into a juicy ripe strawberry in the summer. So much flavor is packed into this little heart-shaped gem.
Strawberries are loved by everyone in our family. It’s also common knowledge that Randy’s favorite recipe is strawberry shortcake. Which is why coming up with a low carb strawberry shortcake for my hubby was a real priority.
Thankfully, all you really need for a good low carb strawberry shortcake, is a great pound cake recipe. I was blessed to create a low carb pound cake two years ago. In fact my low carb cream cheese pound cake, has been pinned tens of thousands of times. It’s funny what ends up going viral on social media.
Recently Jonita, Nita for short from NitaLCHF4Life featured a Strawberry Chocolate Mousse Cake that she made using sesame seed flour. I was immediately intrigued and asked her to elaborate on the use of this uncommon low carb flour substitute.
Nita shared how sesame seed flour was her flour of choice when baking low carb. Why? Because it was the closest thing to regular flour she had encountered and it was not as expensive as almond flour. Nita grinds her own sesame seeds to make her flour, I on the other hand went the lazier route and purchased sesame seed flour already milled.
Although I was now eager to try my sesame seed flour, I was not sure if I would like the flavor, or texture. Thankfully, I was not disappointed and neither was my family. There are several things to love about sesame seed flour. Besides the fact that it’s a more economical low carb flour alternative, it’s a great choice for people with nut allergies and even lower in carbs and calories than almond flour.
I’ve been asked to create a nut free version of my low carb cream cheese pound cake several times, but I had not been able to come up with a good alternative for almond flour. Thanks to Nita I now have a great and simple solution to share with my readers.
The strawberry topping for this short-cake is quite simple and allows for the strawberries to be the star of this summer friendly recipe. Give this recipe a try and give Nita some love by checking out her blog!
Low Carb Gluten and Nut-Free Strawberry Shortcake
Serving Size 1 slice or cupcake
A low carb
10 minPrep Time
40 minCook Time
50 minTotal Time
- 2 1/2 cup sesame seed flour
- 1 3/4 cup of swerve or other sugar substitute
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 8 eggs
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1 cup softened butter
- 1 tsp of vanilla
- 3 pints of fresh strawberries sliced
- ¼ cup of sugar substitute (I used Swerve)
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon of sea salt
- 2 cups of sugar free whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a large stand-up mixer bowl beat on high the butter with the sugar substitute until light and fluffy and well incorporated.
- Next add the cream cheese and vanilla and mix well. Add the eggs one at a time making sure to mix well after each addition.
- Lastly, add all the dry ingredients until well combined.
- In a well-greased cake or loaf pan bake for 30 to 40 minutes until golden brown on top.
- Makes 1 loaf (bake 2 dozen cupcakes for 20-25 minutes)
- Once cake is fully cooled you can begin to assemble.
- Add two tablespoons of strawberry topping and 1 tablespoon of whipped cream to each slice of cake or cupcake.
Enjoy in good health!
Having trouble staying on a low carb ketogenic diet? Allow us to introduce to you a KETO//OS a supplement that is helping many stay on track effortlessly. Watch the video to learn more about the science behind Keto//OS