Easy Low Carb Tamale Pie!
When I think of comfort food any thing Tex-Mex is at the top of my list. This Low Carb Tamale Pie checks off so many things for me. It’s full of rich Mexican flavors and it’s a skillet meal making for easy serving and clean up. I don’t know anyone who won’t appreciate the added convenience of a one skillet meal.
My low carb tamale pie spicy is a classic combination of seasoned ground beef, with a “cornmeal” like topping. I use coconut flour to make the “corn bread” topping so no worries on it not fitting into your low carb plan.
In my book cornbread is the perfect accompaniment to chili, which is why a low carb tamale pie is a genius idea as far as I am concerned.
Using coconut flour for the corn bread topping is a great way to add more of the great nutrition in coconuts and is a bonus for those who can’t consume nuts.
What better way to bring a glimmer of fall than to make a low carb keto “tamale” pie. There is just something about all the warm spicy flavors in the Tex Mex cuisine that makes me want to dust off my boots and sweater collection. Since my winter clothes are buried in another side of the house, a low carb tamale pie will do just fine thank you.
Low Carb Tamale Pie
Serving Size 1 slice
A low carb "tamale" pie. A tasty Low Carb Tex-Mex recipe.
20 minPrep Time
45 minCook Time
1 hr, 5 Total Time
- 1 ½ pound ground beef
- ½ cup of finely chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup of tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon of ground chili powder
- 1 tablespoon of ground cumin powder
- ¼ teaspoon of black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 1 ½ teaspoon of sea salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 4 ounces of cream cheese
- ½ cup melted butter cooled
- 1 cup coconut flour
- Meat Filling:
- In a large skillet brown the ground beef along with the onion and garlic. Add the tomato sauce and combine. Next add the chili powder, cumin powder, black pepper, cayenne pepper and salt.
- Add this mixture to the cast iron skillet. Pour the tamale mixture over the meat mixture and bake in a 400 degrees for 45 minutes or until you can insert a tooth pick into the tamale portion and it comes out clean.
- Tamale Topping Preparation:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Grease a 10 inch cast iron skillet
- In a large up stand mixer, whisk the eggs, milk and butter on low.
- In another medium size bowl mix the coconut flour, salt, baking powder and sugar substitute together.
- Add the dry mixture into the wet ingredients inside the stand mixer. Beat on low or stir to combine.
- Tamale Pie:
- Pour the tamale mixture over the meat mixture in the cast iron and bake in a 400 degrees for about 45 minutes or until you can insert a tooth pick into the tamale portion and it comes out clean.
- Allow to cool slightly before serving. Top with sour cream, Sriracha sauce and sliced avocados if desired.
Keto Hack To Stay On Track
If you have been struggling to get into ketosis, or hit a plateau that doesn’t seem to budge, consider using Keto//OS by doing so you will naturally elevate your ketones and this means you will see a major reduction in appetite, carb cravings, and sustained energy.
Using Keto//OS makes the low carb keto lifestyle a viable sustainable option. We are seeing how this all natural powerful supplement is helping so many of our Fittoserve Group Community.
I encourage you to watch this short 4 minute explainer video to learn the science behind Keto//OS
Feel free to reach out to us with your questions regarding Keto//os and the keto lifestyle. We can even schedule a phone call and coach you for free when you make a 15, 20, or 30 day purchase.
For detail information on which plan can best suit your needs read more here.