Time to roll up my sleeves and begin experimenting with new low carb keto holiday recipes. It’s about to get really fun in our home. I love this time of year and the smells that permeate from my kitchen. Nothing like having my family run into the kitchen asking, “whatcha cookin, it sure smells great” I live for those moments.
Recently, I started playing around with chayote, it’s a light green firm vegetable that is part of the gourd family. It’s a cucurbitaceae, along with melons, cucumbers and squash. The flavor reminds me of a very mild pear with the mouth feel of an apple. A winner for my low carb fall recipes!
The mild taste lends itself perfectly with lots of recipes, because it’s like working with a blank slate. The best part is that it’s low in carbs, and high in potassium and vitamin C. Win!Win!Win!
Most recipes with chayotes tell you to peel ahead of time, but I find it’s much easier to cook whole in boiling water and then use a vegetable peeler. You do want to remember to take out the large seed in the middle of it.
So if your missing your apples because they are too high in sugar and carbs, you might pleasantly be surprised how well this alternative works.
Looking for proven ways to stay committed to a low carb keto plan? Look no more! Allow me to introduce to you Keto//OS the first therapeutic ketone supplement that allows you to drink your ketones and put you into ketosis in under 59 minutes. You can now stay the course longterm with this amazing supplement. To be able to have ketosis on demand is simply a game-changer. I invite you to read more about the success we are seeing in our community group here.
Low Carb Mock Apple Cobbler
Serving Size 1
A low carb mock apple cobbler made with chayote squash a great low carb keto friendly apple substitute.
25 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
55 minTotal Time
- 4 Chayote Squash, cooked, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup of Swerve or other sugar substitute
- 2 tablespoons of cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon of ginger powder
- dash of nutmeg
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup of almond flour
- ¼ cup of coconut flour
- ½ stick of cold butter (sliced into small pieces)
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 3 tbsp Swerve or other sugar substitute
- Boil the whole chayote with enough water to cover them. Cook for about 20 minutes. They should still be firm but cooked through.
- Create the crumb crust by mixing all the dry ingredients first then adding the egg and butter. Do not over mix you want it to stay crumbly.
- Peel and chop the now cooled chayote. Add all the dry spices, sugar substitute and lemon juice to the chayote and combine well.
- In a baking dish that has been greased well with butter add the seasoned a chayote and top with the crumb crust
- Bake in oven at 350 degrees until hot and bubbly for 25-30 minutes.
Are you having trouble staying on a low carb keto plan? Have you hit a plateau in you weightless journey? Allow me to introduce to you Keto//OS the first pure therapeutic ketones to go to market. You can now drink ketones and test your ketone levels in one hour and be in ketosis. Learn more how this supplement works by watching this quick video.
Reach out to us with your questions regarding Keto//OS. We are here to assist you on your journey to wellness and would love to help you get started.