Gingerbread cookies have always been my favorite holiday cookie. In fact, I am pretty certain that my enthusiasm is what made my children fall in love with them too. How else can you explain a child loving a spiced cookie? Something about the fragrance of ginger and cinnamon always put our family in the Christmas mood. Early in December these cookies would always make an appearance, it was my way of signaling that it was time to celebrate the birth of our savior.
Only problem with this lovely tradition, is that once I went low carb I could no longer enjoy my favorite cookie. I can’t lie, I really missed my gingerbread cookies and was pretty sad to let them go. However, with a few good years under my belt baking low carb, I now felt confident that I could come up with a healthy, delicious alternative.
I am happy to report that this tradition is safely back in our lives. This recipe turned out exactly how I had hoped, which means it’s an early Christmas gift for this girl. The recipe produced a firm cookie, important because I hate when the gingerbread heads get loped off when put into a cookie jar. It’s also packed full of flavor, with a hefty dose of spices, just the way we like them. Not as brave as us? Then reduce the spices to your liking.
I added a tablespoon of psyllium powder to the mix to help the cookie firm up and one tablespoon of molasses as a flavor enhancer. The molasses adds a negligible amount of carbs to the entire batch. You can choose to leave out this addition if you can’t afford the extra carbs.
Consider this little recipe a Christmas gift from us!
Spicy Low Carb Gingerbread Cookies
Serving Size 1 cookie
A low carb gingerbread cookie recipe
45 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
1 hrTotal Time
- Low Gingerbread Dough
- 3 cups almond flour
- 2 cup sugar substitute (I use Swerve)
- 1 tablespoon of psyllium powder
- 1 tablespoon of molasses (optional)
- 3 tablespoons of ginger powder
- 4 tablespoons of cinnamon powder
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- ¼ teaspoon of clove
- ½ teaspoon of nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon of black pepper (optional)
- 3 whole eggs
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- ¼ cup softened butter
- Low carb icing
- ¼ cup of Swerve confectioners
- 1 tablespoon of water or heavy whipping cream
- Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees
- In a large stand-up mixer beat the sugar substitute, butter, molasses, vanilla extract and eggs together until fully incorporated. Next add all the dry spices. Once fully combined add the almond flour, psyllium powder, baking powder and salt to the mix and beat well.
- Flatten the dough with a rolling pin between two sheets of parchment paper.
- Chill the dough for 30 minutes before using cookie cutters.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes
- Allow the cookies to cool completely before adding the low carb glaze.
Looking for proven ways to stay committed to a low carb keto plan? Look no more! Allow me to introduce to you Keto//OS the first therapeutic ketone supplement that allows you to drink your ketones and put you into ketosis in under 59 minutes. You can now stay the course longterm with this amazing supplement. To be able to have ketosis on demand is simply a game-changer. I invite you to read more about the success we are seeing in our community group here.
Feel free to reach out to us with your questions regarding Keto//os and the keto lifestyle. We can even schedule a phone call and coach you for free when you make a 15, 20, or 30 day purchase.
For detail information on which plan can best suit your needs read more here.
Reach out to us with your questions regarding Keto//OS. We are here to assist you on your journey to wellness and would love to help you get started.
Looking for the most affordable way to test your ketone levels? The Best Ketone Testhas finally made this possible.