Spicy low carb gingerbread cookies because, gingerbread cookies have always been my favorite holiday cookie. In fact, I am pretty certain that my enthusiasm for this holiday cookie is what made my children fall in love with them too. How else can you explain a child loving a ginger spiced cookie? Something about the fragrance of ginger and cinnamon always pust our family in the Christmas mood. Early in December these cookies would always make an appearance, it was my way of signaling that it was time to celebrate the birth of our savior.
Only problem with this lovely tradition, is that once I went low carb I could no longer enjoy my favorite cookie 🙁 . I can’t lie, I really missed my gingerbread cookies and was pretty sad to let them go. However, with a few good years under my belt baking low carb, I now felt I could create spicy low carb gingerbread cookies.
I am happy to report that this tradition is safely back in our lives. These spicy low carb gingerbread cookies turned out exactly how I had hoped. The recipe produced a firm cookie, important because I hate when the gingerbread heads get loped off when put into a cookie jar. Don’t you just hate that too? The spicy low carb gingerbread cookies are packed with flavor. They are made with a hefty dose of spices, just the way we like them in our family. Not as brave as us? Then reduce the spices to your liking.
I added a tablespoon of psyllium powder to the mix to help the cookie firm up and one tablespoon of molasses as a flavor enhancer. The molasses adds a negligible amount of carbs to the entire batch. You can choose to add a molasses extract instead of the molasses if you can’t afford the extra carbs.
Consider this little recipe a Christmas gift from us!
Spicy Low Carb Gingerbread Cookies
Serving Size 1 cookie
A low carb gingerbread cookie recipe
45 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
1 hrTotal Time
- 3 cups almond flour
- 2 cup sugar substitute (I use Swerve)
- 1 tablespoon of psyllium powder
- 1 tablespoon of molasses (optional) or 1 tsp of molasses extract
- 3 tablespoons of ginger powder
- 4 tablespoons of cinnamon powder
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- ¼ teaspoon of clove
- ½ teaspoon of nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon of black pepper (optional)
- 3 whole eggs
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- ¼ cup softened butter
- ¼ cup of Swerve confectioners
- 1 tablespoon of water or heavy whipping cream
- Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees
- In a large stand-up mixer beat the sugar substitute, butter, molasses, vanilla extract and eggs together until fully incorporated. Next add all the dry spices. Once fully combined add the almond flour, psyllium powder, baking powder and salt to the mix and beat well.
- Flatten the dough with a rolling pin between two sheets of parchment paper.
- Chill the dough for 30 minutes before using cookie cutters.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes
- Allow the cookies to cool completely before adding the low carb glaze.
Staying Committed To Keto During the Holidays
Looking for proven ways to stay committed to a low carb keto plan? Look no more! Allow me to introduce to you Keto//OS the first therapeutic ketone supplement that allows you to drink your ketones and put you into ketosis in under 59 minutes. You can now stay the course longterm with this amazing supplement. To be able to have ketosis on demand is simply a game-changer. I invite you to read more about the success we are seeing in our community group here.
Learn more about how the science works by watching these short explainer videos Needing further support?
Feel free to reach out to us with your questions regarding Keto//os and the keto lifestyle. We can even schedule a phone call and coach you for free when you make a 15, 20, or 30 day purchase.
For detail information on which plan can best suit your needs read more here.
Looking for the most affordable way to test your ketone levels? The Best Ketone Testhas finally made this possible.