Once we made eating a low carb keto diet a lifestyle change, we really thought we would never have anything that even remotely looked like pasta again. This of course was until I discovered spaghetti squash. Although not void of carbs, it’s certainly a much healthier lower in carb option. Today, I’m sharing my low carb bacon carbonara casserole with you. Its not only delicious but easy to make.
Using spaghetti squash as a pasta alternative is great because of its mild flavor. It simply takes on the flavor profile of whatever sauce you choose to use. In addition, it has an amazing pasta-like texture that has you questioning if you aren’t just have a real bowl of pasta and cheating. You can actually even twirl the spaghetti squash around your fork, like you do with real spaghetti. Now that’s when I was sold.
Unlike zucchini and other vegetables that are spiraled into a pasta-like texture, spaghetti squash does not give your dishes extra moisture. Don’t get me wrong I use zucchini all the time to make a low carb lasagna, but if not eaten right away the extra moisture the zucchini releases can turn some people off.
I finally decided to sit down and share a recipe using spaghetti squash after getting a few family requests. Although it’s a very popular pasta option in our low carb keto community, it’s still has not been discovered by many. Hopefully, my low carb bacon carbonara casserole will make it easier to say no to traditional pasta.
My creamy bacon carbonara sauce with spaghetti squash is filling enough to stand as a meal, which is why I opted not to add any additional protein in the form of chicken.
Low Carb Bacon Carbonara Casserole
Serving Size 1 cup
A Low Carb Bacon Carbonara Casserole. Made with spaghetti squash it's the perfect low carb pasta alternative.
15 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
45 minTotal Time
- 1 large spaghetti squash (cooked)
- 3 eggs
- ¼ cup of butter
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- ½ pound bacon (reserve ½ cup for topping)
- ½ cup of chopped mushrooms
- 2 cups of heavy whipping cream
- 1 ½ cups of grated cheese parmesan cheese (reserve ½ cup for topping)
- dash of nutmeg
- ¼ cup of finely chopped parsley (for topping)
- ½ teaspoon of sea-salt
- 1 clove of crushed garlic
- ¼ teaspoon of black pepper
- ½ teaspoon of sea-salt (or to taste)
- dash of red pepper flakes
- Spaghetti Squash Cooking Instructions
- Cook your spaghetti squash sliced in a 375-degree oven for 30 minutes. Or if you prefer you can do what I do and cook it whole in the microwave oven.
- I pierce the skin of the spaghetti squash several times and microwave at a high temperature for about 6 minutes.
- Once cooked and allowed to cool, I slice the squash in half and take out the center seeds. Using a fork, scrap the inside of the squash to get the spaghetti-like strands. Place the squash strands in an oven-proof bowl in preparation for the sauce.
- Low Carb Bacon Carbonara Sauce
- Cook in a large frying pan over medium-high heat the bacon, once slightly crispy set aside.
- Reserve ¼ up of the bacon grease to cook the onion, garlic and mushrooms until tender.
- Remove the sautéed mushrooms, garlic and onions and add the butter to the pan.
- Reduce the heat to low-medium and add the cream, parmesan cheese, and spices minus the parsley. Cook on low until the sauce starts to thicken.
- Turn the stove off and allow to cool. Whisk in the 3 whole eggs, making sure that the eggs are fully incorporated. Note: It’s important that you don’t add the raw eggs to the sauce if it’s really hot, to avoid scrambling the eggs.
- To the now thickened sauce add the cooked mushrooms, onion, garlic and bacon and stir to combine well.
- Pour the carbonara sauce over the cooked spaghetti squash and transfer into an oven-proof casserole.
- To the casserole add the reserved parmesan cheese, bacon and parsley as a toping.
- Bake in a 350-degree oven for 30-35 minutes.
Looking for proven ways to stay committed to a low carb keto plan? Look no more! Allow me to introduce to you Keto//OS the first therapeutic ketone supplement that allows you to drink your ketones and put you into ketosis in under 59 minutes. You can now stay the course longterm with this amazing supplement. To be able to have ketosis on demand is simply a game-changer. I invite you to read more about the success we are seeing in our community group here.
For detail information on which plan can best suit your needs read more here.
Reach out to us with your questions regarding Keto//OS. We are here to assist you on your journey to wellness and would love to help you get started.
Looking for the most affordable way to test your ketone levels? The Best Ketone Testhas finally made this possible.