Follow our blog on bloglovin
Let’s get one thing straight before I share this recipe. Pasta used to be my main food love. In fact, it was a staple in my diet. Oh, can I add that I wasn’t choosy either. I didn’t care if it was whole wheat, cheap white or the shape it came in. Pasta had my heart.
When I realized that pasta, specifically the gluten in pasta was making my inflammation worse, I was pretty heartbroken. So, I understand the hesitation you may have to swapping out your pasta for a vegetable. I was there and was very skeptical too. However, I knew that if I was going to transition my high carb ways into a low carb keto one, I needed some real solutions.
It’s been over three years since real pasta has crossed my lips. I mean THREE solid, years people! Can I hear a hallelujah for this victory? Thank you. Yes, I will admit that at first it was not easy. Changing a lifetime of bad food choices does not come without it’s bumps in the road. So, I must say, I’m pretty proud of myself for not ever caving in.
Thankfully, early on my low carb keto journey I learned that using a vegetable in place of pasta was a great option. In an earlier post, I wrote about how I love spaghetti squash as a pasta alternative. It’ makes for a fantastic base for some many low carb recipes. However, I wanted to share with you my keto lasagna recipe because frankly it’s delicious.
I’ve made my own home-made sauces for like forever, which is a good thing since most store-brought ones are loaded with sugar. Which is why I’ve included mine here for you. It’s a great little “pasta” sauce that you can use in a number of recipes. Remember, I always give you license to experiment with my recipes, so go have some fun and make it your own.
Getting rid of wheat in the form of bread, and pasta means I no longer have to worry about an overactive inflammatory response in my body. I hope this recipe will inspire and assist you in making healthier choices.
This was submitted by Christine on of our blog followers. “I notice that it’s watery after baking. If you spread the sliced zucchini on paper towels and sprinkle with pink salt leave for 10 minutes then pat dry. Turn over and do the same. The pink salt makes the zucchini sweat, so that it’s not as watery after baking.”❤
Easy Low Carb Keto Lasagna
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 pound of ground beef
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 small can of tomato paste
- 1 ½ cups of water
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons of dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ¼ teaspoon of black pepper
- 1 teaspoon of dried onion powder
- 1 teaspoon of dried garlic powder
- 3 cloves of fresh garlic crushed
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 3 medium zucchini
- 1 ½ cups whole milk ricotta cheese
- 1 ½ cups mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- Dash of nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- In a large skillet set over medium heat, heat 3 tablespoons of the oil. Add the onion, garlic and red pepper flakes and cook, until the onion and garlic are translucent. Add the ground beef and cook, until brown. Add the crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, and water. Next add the oregano, basil, and salt. Allow the meat sauce to cook and reduce until sauce has thickened. Let the sauce cool.
- Mix the ricotta cheese, ½ cup mozzarella cheese, ½ cup of parmesan cheese. Next add the egg and dash of nutmeg and combine well.
- Slice the zucchini lengthwise into thin strips, about 1/8 inch thick. Put 5 or 6 zucchini slices, overlapping slightly, in the bottom of an 8 x 8-inch baking dish. Add 1 cup of the sauce, next with 1/4 cup of the ricotta mixture. Repeat the layers twice, alternating the direction of the zucchini. Top with the remaining cup of mozzarella cheese. Lastly, sprinkle the Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes, or until the lasagna is bubbling and the top is lightly brown. Let stand for 20 minutes before slicing and serving.
This recipe freezes well before or after baking, so enjoy in health!
Are you struggling to eat a low carb keto plan? Thankfully, there are ways to make the transition easier and the keto lifestyle doable. With the ability to now get ketones exogenously (we can now drink our ketones), and be in in a state of therapeutic ketosis. People are experiencing the power of ketones sometimes for the first time. Making our journey to share this conversation much more easier. The testimonials that are coming from the community because of this new technology have been very encouraging.
Watch this explainer video and let us help you get started today.
Reach out to us with your questions regarding Keto//OS. We are here to assist you on your journey to wellness and would love to help you get started.