What happens when your thoughts are consumed by pie? I guess you make more pies. Pies have been on my mind a lot lately, which would explain why I’m posting two back to back low carb pie recipes. Well I hope you have room for more of the same, because I may still have a few low carb pies up my sleeve.
Can you guess who isn’t complaining about this pie streak? Yup my husband Randy. He loves letting people know that when it comes to recipe development, his is the most important job; product testing. Problem is Randy hardly ever complains about my cooking. Then again, Randy may just be exercising great wisdom since I’m the cook in the relationship. Ha!
The low carb pie recipe I decided to share with you is a combination of three classic pies. You see I couldn’t decide between making a low carb lemon curb pie, a low carb coconut pie or cheesecake. So, I did what any reasonable food blogger does and created a pie that had the combination of three great flavor profiles. Lol, I figured I certainly can’t be the only one who craves several pies at once.
This low carb lemon curd cheesecake has a smooth, creamy texture with a big burst of lemon flavor. The lemon curd really adds the perfect combination of sweet and tart. Most of the cheesecake recipes I create require that the filling be baked. However, I decided to keep things simple for you, which is why this filling did not need to be cooked.
Have you been attempting to go low carb keto and find yourself failing? Have you been doing the lifestyle but hit a plateau you can’t seem to break? Perhaps, what you’re missing is Keto//os the first therapeutic ketones. You can now drink ketones and be in ketosis in as quickly as 59 minutes. Want to learn more about the science behind this technology? Watch this quick 4 minute video.
Feel free to contact us with your questions regarding Keto//OS
Low Carb Coconut Crust
1 ½ cups of sugar-free coconut flakes
¼ of almond flour or 2 tablespoons of coconut flour for nut free version
½ cup of melted butter
Low Carb Lemon Curd Filling
½ cup unsalted butter
¾ cup of sugar substitute I used Swerve
¾ cup of lemon juice about 3 large lemons
7 egg yolks
1 tablespoons of lemon zest
¼ tsp of sea salt
Low Carb Cheesecake Filling
1 package of cream cheese
½ cup sugar substitute
½ cup sour cream
1 teaspoon of unflavored gelatin I used Great Lakes unflavored gelatin
3 tablespoon of cold water
Low Carb Lemon Curd Instructions
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan on low heat.
- Once the better is melted, remove the saucepan from heat and whisk in the sugar-sugstitue, lemon juice and lemon zest. Keep mixing until well combined.
- Return the saucepan to stove and whisk in the eggs yolk one at and cook on low heat until the curd starts to thicken.
- Remove the lemon curd off the stove and strain into a small bowl.
- Allow to cool at room temperature and then store in the refrigerator and chill for 30 minutes to an hour.
- Spread the low carb lemon curd evenly to the coconut crust.
- Allow the pie to set for at least 30 minutes before slicing and enjoying.
Low Carb Coconut Crust Instructions
- 1.Combine all the ingredients until well mixed. Press the coconut mixture into a 9-inch pie crust pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Once the pie crust is cooked and while it is still warm, press the crust with the back of a metal spoon. I find that pressing the crust soon after it’s been cooked allows for a crispier crust.
Low Carb Cheesecake Filling
- Mix the gelatin with the cold water and set aside.
- Combine the cream cheese, sour cream, and sugar substitute.
- Fold in the prepared gelatin into the cheesecake batter.
Pie Assembly Instructions
- Once the pie crust is fully cooked and cooled add cheesecake filling.
- Next spread the lemon curd topping to the cheesecake.
- Allow for pie to fully set in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before consuming.
- Store pie in the refrigerator.