Sometimes when I am creating a recipe I immediately know it’s a winner. It’s moments like these that truly get me excited about baking low carb. I wanted a shortbread cookie, because if I had to pick my favorite type of cookie, this would definitely be it. I was hoping to create a low carb option that resembled the recipe I used to make all the time for my friends and family. It was a brownie shortbread cookie. I am happy to report that this goal has been achieved!
I love the rich buttery taste that shortbread cookies offer. It reminds me of those Danish cookies that come in a tin can. I must admit, I probably kept those people in business single handedly until I learned to bake. Frankly, I don’t know why it took me so long to sit down and create a low carb option. All I can say, is you’ll be glad I finally did.
I was so inspired that I actually created two low carb shortbread cookie recipes for you. You’ll find the other in my next post, so stay tuned. This particular cookie has a layer of brownie on top. Why? Because you know what’s better than a low carb shortbread cookie? One that has a low carb brownie layer. It’s perfect for those times you can’t decide what you prefer.
Low Carb Brownie Shortbread Cookies
Low Carb Shortbread Base:
1 cup of finely ground almond flour (it needs to be finely milled)
¼ cup of sugar substitute (I use Swerve)
½ cup (1 stick) of unsalted butter allowed to soften at room temperature.
¼ teaspoon of sea salt
Low Carb Brownie Topping:
3 ounces of unsweetened baking chocolate bar (I use Baker’s)
½ cup (1 stick) of unsalted butter
2 large whole eggs
1 cup of sugar substitute (I use Swerve)
½ teaspoon of baking powder
½ teaspoon of sea salt
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease an 11X7 pan or a 10-inch round spring form pan like I did.
- Create the base of this cookie by mixing the almond flour and sugar substitute in a stand-up mixer. Once combined add the softened butter until dough forms.
- Place the layer of this dough into the bottom of your pan. I use wet hands to pat the dough so it doesn’t stick. Bake until light and golden brown for 20 minutes and then allow to fully cool before proceeding.
- Leave your oven on and prepare the low carb brownie topping: Melt the chocolate and butter in a double-broiler or use the microwave in 1 minute intervals. Make sure to mix well and then set aside to cool.
- To the melted and cooled butter and chocolate mix, add the 2 eggs, baking powder and sea salt. Whisk well until fully combined.
- Spread this low carb brownie mixture to the low carb shortbread base evenly.
- Bake for about 20 minutes until the top rises slightly. The center will drop once it cools. You don’t want to over bake them so that they maintain a rich fudgy texture on top. Allow them to cool completely before slicing and enjoying.
Enjoy in good health!
Wondering how to best transition into a low carb keto diet effortlessly? Are you looking for ways to elevate your ketone levels while eating a low carb ketogenic diet? Allow me to introduce you to Keto//OS the first and most delicious way to raise your ketone levels by drinking therapeutic ketones. Ready to get started? Order Keto//OS here add /ca for our Canada friends or /au For our buddies in Australia
Watch this short video to explain how it works.
Reach out to us with your questions regarding Keto//OS. We are here to assist you on your journey to wellness and would love to help you get started.