Sometimes when I am creating a recipe I immediately know it’s a winner. It’s moments like these that truly get me excited about baking low carb. I wanted a shortbread cookie, because if I had to pick my favorite type of cookie, this would definitely be it. I was hoping to create a low carb option that resembled the recipe I used to make all the time for my friends and family. It was a brownie shortbread cookie. I am happy to report that this goal has been achieved!
I love the rich buttery taste that shortbread cookies offer. It reminds me of those Danish cookies that come in a tin can. I must admit, I probably kept those people in business single handedly until I learned to bake. Frankly, I don’t know why it took me so long to sit down and create a low carb option. All I can say, is you’ll be glad I finally did.
I was so inspired that I actually created two low carb shortbread cookie recipes for you. You’ll find the other in my next post, so stay tuned. This particular cookie has a layer of brownie on top. Why? Because you know what’s better than a low carb shortbread cookie? One that has a low carb brownie layer. It’s perfect for those times you can’t decide what you prefer.
Low Carb Brownie Shortbread Cookies
Low Carb Shortbread Base:
1 cup of finely ground almond flour (it needs to be finely milled)
¼ cup of sugar substitute (I use Swerve)
½ cup (1 stick) of unsalted butter allowed to soften at room temperature.
¼ teaspoon of sea salt
Low Carb Brownie Topping:
3 ounces of unsweetened baking chocolate bar (I use Baker’s)
½ cup (1 stick) of unsalted butter
2 large whole eggs
1 cup of sugar substitute (I use Swerve)
½ teaspoon of baking powder
½ teaspoon of sea salt
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease an 11X7 pan or a 10-inch round spring form pan like I did.
- Create the base of this cookie by mixing the almond flour and sugar substitute in a stand-up mixer. Once combined add the softened butter until dough forms.
- Place the layer of this dough into the bottom of your pan. I use wet hands to pat the dough so it doesn’t stick. Bake until light and golden brown for 20 minutes and then allow to fully cool before proceeding.
- Leave your oven on and prepare the low carb brownie topping: Melt the chocolate and butter in a double-broiler or use the microwave in 1 minute intervals. Make sure to mix well and then set aside to cool.
- To the melted and cooled butter and chocolate mix, add the 2 eggs, baking powder and sea salt. Whisk well until fully combined.
- Spread this low carb brownie mixture to the low carb shortbread base evenly.
- Bake for about 20 minutes until the top rises slightly. The center will drop once it cools. You don’t want to over bake them so that they maintain a rich fudgy texture on top. Allow them to cool completely before slicing and enjoying. Makes one dozen bars at 3.1 net carbs each
Enjoy in good health!
Wondering how to best transition into a low carb keto diet effortlessly? Are you looking for ways to elevate your ketone levels while eating a low carb ketogenic diet? Allow me to introduce you to Keto//OS the first and most delicious way to raise your ketone levels by drinking therapeutic ketones. Ready to get started? Order Keto//OS here add /ca for our Canada friends or /au For our buddies in Australia
Watch this short video to explain how it works.